D mail

Actual letters I have written and the actual responses I have received. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Thursday, September 29, 2005

BC Tel Letter

June 26, 1995

BC Tel Marketing Dept.
3777 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC
V5H 3Z7

Dear phone friends,

As near as I can tell, I've been using a phone since I was two and a half years old. I was answering the phone in my parents' home as soon as I could speak (my mom says I could sing before I could speak, but I don't remember). I have always enjoyed talking on the phone and can't imagine what the world was like before Alexander Graham Bell invented his fine world-changing product. My job as a customer service consultant at Cantel Cellular only increased my passion for the phone as I handled an average of 119 calls per day, that is until everyone was laid off, and the department decentralized to Toronto ("long live BC Tel Mobility!"). I would like to congratulate you on your exceptional service and products over the years.

The reason for this letter is in regards to your recent ad campaign. My oldest sister, Becky, who used to live in Airdrie, Alberta (pop. 9,437), used to tell me about the boring AGT (Alberta General Telephone) advertisements. They always ended their commercials with a monotonous jingle, "AGT, AGT, we're the best that we can be," blah, blah, blah, and so on. My guess is that the common folk in Alberta thrived on that sort of marketing simplicity. But not so here in beautiful British Columbia! I've always been impressed with your television ads that showed families growing closer together by making a phone call at just the appropriate time, or how a BC Tel lineman would string up phone lines with a bow and arrow. Now those are real life vignettes that capture our hearts and minds!

My comment is regarding your most recent commercial showing 5 mothers of NHL goalies dressed in hockey equipment, and reminiscing about the crystal clear phone calls they've received from their sons, all over the world. The captions say that they are the mothers of Kirk McLean, Wade Flaherty, Chris Osgood, and Trevor Kidd. This is fine and dandy, but there are five ladies, and only four names listed. Who is the mysterious fifth lady in the commercial? Is she a goalies' mom who didn't rank high enough on the acting scale to get her name mentioned? Maybe one of the marketing managers pulled some strings to get his own mom in the commercial with the other more famous moms? I would love to have an answer regarding the "fifth mystery mom" (as I've called her since the commercial was first aired a few months ago). Thanks for your time, and continue on in your fine tradition of BC Tel quality and consistency.

Please write back as my phone is broken.

Unitel is hell,
Dairn M Peters
PS Do you have a cap or t-shirt you could send for my sister?

2 Comments:

Blogger Abigail S. said...

"Please write back as my phone is broken."

Nice touch! Sure did make me giggle!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Dairn said...

Glad you caught that! It was somewhat subtle, but still makes me laugh to this day.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter