D mail

Actual letters I have written and the actual responses I have received. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Friday, September 23, 2005

Pentel Letter

June 11, 1996

Pentel of America, Ltd.
2805 Columbia Street
Torrance, CA
90509

Dear plastic pen professionals,

I am writing to congratulate you on your fine product and to tell you how happy we are. "We" are the men of the Kingsway Foursquare Church in Burnaby, British Columbia, of which I am an assistant pastor. You see, each year the pastoral staff gets together to brainstorm about ideas for Father's Day gifts for the men of the church (on Mother's Day the ladies get a flower or plant), but prior to last year the task was not easy.

The story began 6 years ago when we purchased a large number of pens for Father's Day, 1990. The pens (produced by a competitor of yours) looked nice and were a "good deal" so they were handed out on Sunday morning as a gift to the men. Within a week or two, we were hearing of complaints through the grapevine (nobody wanted to publicly criticize a church gift) regarding the suspect writing instruments. The crud (pardon my French) really hit the fan when the Senior Pastor's pen exploded in his white shirt pocket during a budget meeting! This, of course, spelled the end of Father's Day pens for the men. That is why it was such a task to come up with other inexpensive ideas for this annual occasion. Trinkets given out during some of the past years include: key chains; pocket flashlights; flashlight-keychains; discounted minor league baseball tickets (game was rained out!). Needless to say, we dreaded this scary day. That is, until last year.

I was in charge of the Father's Day fiasco (as it was being called), and I decided to give the pen "thing" another try because everybody uses pens (and because I thought the Senior Pastor had forgotten the incident of six years past). I went to Office Depot and purchased 200 Pentel pens for the men, and prayed for the best (seriously!). To my chagrin, the old guy still remembered his ink-blotched shirt and questioned my decision. However, as it turns out, to this day he still faithfully uses his Pentel pen from last Father's Day! Also, the pens got good reviews from the male population of the church, thank the Lord (and Pentel).

So today I went to Office Depot and purchased 20 boxes of Pentel RSVP fine line ball point pens (in black and blue) for this coming Sunday (June 16, Father's Day). Thanks to your great product, the Father's Day fiasco is no more, my Senior Pastor is a happy man, and my job is probably safe for another year. Thanks Pentel, you truly do have "the best value-priced, quality-crafted ball point pen made in the U.S.A."

I thank you for taking the time to read my long, babbling letter, but I just wanted to let you know how much you are appreciated. Is it possible to send a Pentel cap or t-shirt (XL) my way? I don't mind at all advertising such a fine product as yours! Thanks for your response.

Paper Mate is no friend of mine,
Dairn M Peters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter