D mail

Actual letters I have written and the actual responses I have received. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tootsie Roll Letter

October 9, 1996

Tootsie Roll Industries
Chicago, Illinois
USA
60629


Dear Tootsie Titans,

I have been enjoying your chocolate Tootsie Rolls for many years and plan on relishing them for many years to come. In fact, Tootsie Rolls are my favourite candy, bar none! If it wasn't for my co-worker, Dick, and his obsession for your fine product, I would probably be your biggest fan in the world!

Dick and I are testers for a major light bulb manufacturer in Canada. We screw bulbs into tester sockets, flip a switch, and then unscrew the bulbs (possibly the MOST BORING job on the planet!). In the bright (and then dark... bright, then dark) confines of the testing area, our throats can get quite dry and hoarse, so we chew on Tootsie Rolls to keep our taste buds occupied. Dick, however, goes through twice as many Tootsie treats as I do in a given shift, popping them into his mouth faster than I can say, "Bob's your uncle!" But here's the kicker: I gain weight by the ton eating your product, while Dick is the picture of perfect health (and I exercise every day, while he sits on the couch and watches Oprah reruns)! Is this fair??? No, darn it!

Anyways, my question for you would be, is there anything addictive in your Tootsie Rolls? I've looked at your ingredients on the wrapper and it all seems pretty normal to me, but the way we go through your product (we purchase in bulk), I think we may be "Tootsie Roll dependent." Can you tell me if there are any secret addictive ingredients (cocaine, nicotine, cod liver oil supplements)? Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Dick will be really excited to hear your reply! Is it possible to send me a Tootsie Roll cap for my collection? That'd be great!

Future Tootsie Roll Fan Club President,
Dairn M Peters

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky L said...

i hate tootsie rolls. they're too hard to chew.
though, i have tmj (aka: my jaw doesnt work right), so its not good for me to eat them anyway.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Dairn said...

They can be melted and sucked through a straw, it just takes a little more preparation.

;-)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Dairn said...

Try this link below, Clairissa (just highlight it and copy/paste it in your browser address at the top)

http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/tootsie.asp

It will reveal the Tootsie Pop legend (and it's falseness).

Good for you to listen to your instincts about it being fake. Keep the Snopes.com site in your favourites so that you can easily look up all those urban myths you get by email and see if they're true or not! :-)

By the way, it takes 378 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop...

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter