D mail

Actual letters I have written and the actual responses I have received. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Esso Letter

May 25, 1995

Esso Customer Service
90 Wynford Drive
North York, Ontario
M3C 1K5


Dear petrol professionals,

I have been using your fine products in my cars since I've been able to drive (approx. 9 years), and have consistently been impressed with the quality of your various grades of gasoline and motor oils. Your employees are always knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. I very much appreciate your stations that have 24 hour service, and also the stations with mini stores. I'm sure your many gas depots that are affiliated with the 7-11 food stores have become a rousing success and, no doubt, a profitable co-existence for both parties. Also, in past years your sponsorship of Hockey Night In Canada has played an integral part in keeping a national institution on our proud Canadian airwaves. Keep up the great work!

The main reason for this letter is to congratulate you on your recent marketing endeavour. It must have been quite the coup to secure a deal with Kelloggs in order to have "Tony the Tiger" star in all of your TV and paper advertisements! Being an Esso user and a closet Frosted Flakes fan (sshhh, don't tell anyone), I see this move as a stroke of genius! Whoever thought of the gasoline/cereal combination should be commended and promoted in order to not waste his/her obvious talents, just to be stuck in some marketing think-tank! The TV spots show a warmer, more helpful and friendly "Tony", who is not only out there getting kids to "show 'em you're a tiger", but to allow for the taking care of everyday needs, which just happen to include getting a fill up, and maybe a car wash. Another nice touch is to have the gas pump hoses wrapped in orange tape to give them a "Tony the Tiger" tail look (I've seen them at the station on the corner of Willingdon and Kingsway, here in Burnaby). It only makes sense that the proud stripes on a tiger should be associated with Canada's pride of the petroleum industry!

Before I sign off, I would like to make a suggestion. How about giving out a bowl of Frosted Flakes cereal with each fill (25L or more)? Or even just one of those single serving boxes if it's too difficult to keep bowls and milk on hand? This would be perfect for those of us who don't always have time for a wholesome breakfast before work. Also, more people may get to try Frosted Flakes for the first time, or renew that longing for sugar coated cereal that gets pushed aside with age. Besides, who doesn't love Frosted Flakes? "They're Grrrrreat!"

Please let me know what you think of my suggestion by letter, because with my line of work, I'm often on the road using up my tank of Esso gas!

"Shell" is hell,
Dairn M Peters
PS I haven't heard Tony the Tiger speak on any of your commercials. Are you having trouble getting Tony's "voice" under contract?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter